Tour the castles of Nagano Prefecture on Japan’s Top 100 Castles list as well as a mountaintop fort and the home of the Togakure Ninja.
- Visit clifftop Ueda Castle and castle-in-a-hole Kaikoen.
- Climb to a restored mountaintop fort and stay the night at the hot spring town below.
- Explore Matsushiro’s castle, samurai school and the well-preserved castle town.
- Search for ninja amongst ancient cedar trees in Togakushi.
- See Matsumoto Castle, which has the best-preserved keep from the Warring States period.
Day 1: Ueda and Komoro castles
Visit Komoro Castle and Ueda Castle. Continue on to Arato Castle, the fort overlooking the hot spring town of Togura-Kamiyamada Onsen.
Day 2: Matsushiro Castle Town and Togakushi Ninjas
Travel to charming Matsushiro with its preserved townscape. Then take a bus trip up to Togakushi for a walk to the Okusha Shrine, followed by the Ninja Center.
Day 3: Zenkoji Temple and Matsumoto Castle
Make a pilgrimage to Zenkoji Temple before taking the express train to Matsumoto.