Eat your way across Nagano while discovering and delighting in the Prefecture’s distinct mountain cuisine.
A Foodie's Three Day Trip Through Nagano
- Dine in luxury as the scenery rolls by while riding in a restaurant train
- Snack at the food stalls while making a pilgrimage to Zenkoji Temple.
- Indulge in Obuse’s famous chestnut sweets.
- Head to mystical Togakushi and eat the best soba noodles – the ones you make yourself!
- Stay at a castle town and enjoy a delicacy as the samurai did
- Cook a homestyle meal with a grannie at her home in the countryside
Day 1: Gourmet Train, Temple Town and Chestnut Village
Ride the Rokumon Train to Nagano City stopping at Zenkoji Temple before taking a side trip to Obuse.
Day 2: Soba Making and Wild Game Cuisine
Go up to Togakushi to take in the spiritual power of Okusha Shrine, then make soba noodles using Togakushi's famous buckwheat. Afterward, head to Matsumoto for gibier.
Option: Japan’s Largest Wasabi Farm
Daio Wasabi Farm just to the north of Matsumoto is Japan’s largest, with wasabi grown in clear spring water and snowmelt from the Japanese Alps.
Day 3: Coffee House Breakfast, Lunch with a Country Grandma
After taking breakfast at a local coffee shop, hop on the train to Chino and head out to the countryside to cook lunch with a grannie.