Northern Nagano Area 旧松代藩文武学校
The Matsushiro Samurai School was built in 1853 by Sanada Yukinori, the 9th leader of the Matsushiro Clan.
The Sanada family placed great importance in educating the samurai and their children, in both literary (reading, writing and arithmetic) and military (martial arts, tactics, etc.), leading to the creation of this school.
After being disbanded during the Meiji Restoration, the facilities were used as the Matsushiro Elementary School. Designated a National Historical Site in 1953, it is the only such school in the country that retains its original structures. The school is connected with Sakuma Zozan, the late Edo-era inventor and scholar.
Matsushiro Cultural Artifacts Office
Tel: 026-278-2308 / Fax: 026-278-6503
Close around the New Year’s Day
9:00 - 16:30
Adults : 200 yen
JHS and ES : 80 yen
Location / Access
205-1, Matsushiro, Nagano City
- By Train:
- 30 min Matsushiro line bus from Nagano Station (Hokuriku Shinkansen) -> a 5 min. walk
- By Car:
- 2 km / 5 min from Nagano IC