We will be visiting Matsumoto for a around a day, and will be leaving for Tokyo via bus which will be leaving at around 4am in the morning. We are planning to sleep during the bus journey, while spending the night in Matsumoto looking for any local food and hidden gems that is available late into the night?
I was hoping you could provide us with some insights on local food restaurants/small joints/snacks etc, opening hours until after 12 am as well.
If you’ll be staying out late, most sightseeing spots will be out of reach, but you can see Matsumoto Castle any time of day. If you are interested in art, you may want to pop over to the Matsumoto Museum of Art to take a look at Yayoi Kusama’s polka-dot flower sculpture outside as well.
For restaurants, I picked out some that are open pretty late in the evening from the Visit Matsumoto website. They are mostly Japanese Izakayas, but there are plenty of other restaurants listed on their website as well.
- Noroshi Ramen (Open until 27:00, closes at 24:00 on Sunday and holidays)
- Tauchiya(Open until 25:00, closed on Thursdays)
- Osakeya (Open until 27:00, closed on Sundays)
- Fukufukuya (Open until 27:00)
- Matsumoto Brewery Media Garden Tap Room (Open until 22:00)
I hope that helps answer your question!