Hello, We’ll be flying in and out from Nagoya from 25th December – 2nd January. Our rough plan is— heading to Takayama, Shirakawako, Nagano, Fuji Lake, Snow monkey park, Kiso Valley etc. Then We’ll fly out from Nagoya. We enjoy nature (especially hot spring bath). in term of transportation, we plan to combine train for long distance and also car rental. I would love to hear your suggestions for the itinerary. Thank you.
You may want to take a route like this:
- Rent a car in Nagoya
- Drive to Magome, Tsumago (and Narai if time) post towns in the Kiso Valley
- Stay in Tsumago or Kiso Fukushima (see some options for accommodations here)
December 26th & 27th
- Visit Takayama and Shirakawago areas by car (see Gifu’s Official tourism website for more information)
- Drop off car in Toyama and take the Hokuriku Shinkansen train to Nagano Station
- Buy the Snow Monkey 1 Day Pass for travel on the Nagano Dentetsu train and bus lines
- Take the Nagano Dentetsu train line to Obuse to visit the Hokusai Museum, Ganshoin Temple, and local cafes
- Take the Nagano dentetsu train line to Yudanaka Station and switch to the Shigakogen train line to reach the Snow Monkey Park bus stop. Walk 30 minutes to the park.
- Stay in Yudanaka or Shibu Onsen
- From Yudanaka, return to Nagano by train or bus. Take the Shinonoi line train to Matsumoto.
- Visit Matsumoto Castle
- Visit the Daio Wasabi Farm or head directly Fuji five lakes via the JR Chuo line train (for more information on the Fuji five lakes, see Yamanashi’s Official Tourism Guide)
I hope that helps in your planning. Let me know if you have any other questions about travel within Nagano Prefecture.