Snow Monkey 1-Day Pass
Nagano Dentetsu offers this convenient pass for visitors to the Jigokudani Wild Monkey Park. The pass covers transportation between Nagano Station and Kanbayashi (the trailhead to the park) as well as park admission. Pass users are encouraged to explore some of the places along the way, such as classic Yudanaka-Shibu Hot Springs, quaint Obuse Town, and Suzaka City’s historical storehouse district.
- 3,200 yen
- Info: www.snowmonkeyresorts.com/access/snow-monkey-1-day-pass/
2-Day Free Passport Kamikochi/Norikura/Matsumoto
Offered by Alpico, this reasonable pass offers unlimited travel on Alpico trains and select bus lines in Matsumoto City, covering such major destinations from the Northern Japan Alps (incl. Kamikochi, Norikura and Shirahone Hot Springs) in the west to Utsukushigahara Highlands in the east. Central Matsumoto including Asama Hot Springs and Utsukushigaraha Hot Springs as well as the popular Town Sneaker bus.
(4-Day Pass including Hida-Takayama and beyond also available)
- 6,000 yen
- Info: PDF flyer
- TEL: 0263-92-2511
Zenkoji-Matsushiro 1-Day Pass
This pass connects Nagano Station with Zenkoji Temple (Bus #10 “Binzuru-go”, others) and the samurai sites of Kawanakajima (battle memorial) and Matsushiro (castle remains and samurai houses) (Bus #30). Includes discounts to several sites.
- 1600 yen
- Info: www.alpico.co.jp/access/ticket/matsushiro_pass.html
Zenkoji Plain Wide Free Ticket 2-Day Pass
From Togakushi to Shiga Kogen, and Matsushiro to Nozawa Hot Springs, this pass has you covered for bus and regular train transit.
- 5,500 yen
- Info: www.alpico.co.jp/access/ticket/zenkojidaira_wide_free.html
Regular (non-Express) Trains
- JR Koumi Line from Kobuchizawa in Yamanashi Pref. via Mt. Yatsugatake and Saku-area to Sakudaira and Komoro Stations.
- JR Iiyama Line from Echigo Kawaguchi in Niigata Pref. via Sakae Village to Iiyama and Nagano Stations.
- Shinano Railway Kita-Shinano Line from Naoetsu and Myoko Kogen in Niigata Pref. via Shinano and Iizuna Towns to Nagano Station.
- JR Oito Line from Itoigawa in Niigata Pref. via the Hakuba Valley and Azumino-area to Matsumoto Station.
- JR Chuo Main Line from Nagoya from the west via the Kiso Valley, and Tokyo via Yamanashi Pref. from the east, to Shiojiri.
- JR Iida Line from Toyohashi in Aichi Pref. via the Iida / Ina area up the Tenryu River Valley to Tatsuno.
Additional Trains Within Nagano Prefecture
- JR Shinetsu / Shinonoi Line from Matsumoto to Nagano via Akashina, Obasute.
- Shinano Railway from Karuizawa to Nagano via Komoro, Ueda and Togura.
- Nagano Dentetsu from Nagano to Yudanaka via Suzaka, Obuse, Nakano.
- Ueda Dentetsu Bessho Line from Ueda to Bessho Onsen via Shimonogo (Ikushima Tarushima Shrine)
- Matsumoto Dentetsu Kamikochi Linefrom Matsumoto to Shinshimashima (for access to Kamikochi, Norikura, Shirahone Onsen)
Busses to Zenkoji Temple from Nagano StationThere are 2 convenient bus routes from Nagano Station to Zenkoji Temple. The Nagano City Circular Bus “Gururin-go” makes a figure-8 loop through central Nagano City, running every 15 minutes. Retro #10 “Binzuru-go” busses also run every 15 minutes and run straight up Chuo-Dori directly to Zenkoji.
- 150 yen per ride. 1-Day “Omotesando” Pass available for 410 yen.
- Info: www.alpico.co.jp/access/ticket/omotesando_1day.html
Matsumoto City Bus “Town Sneaker”Cute busses (including a polka-dot one inspired by hometown artist Kusama Yayoi) run 4 circular routes through the heart of downtown Matsumoto.
150-200 yen per ride, basically one bus per hour.
Popular stops include Matsumoto Castle (North Route) the Japan Ukiyo-e Museum (West Route), Nawate (Frog) Street (North Route), Nakamachi Street (East Route), Matsumoto City Museum of Art (East Route), Former Kaichi School (North Route).
- 1 day pass available for 500 yen (includes discounts to Matsumoto Castle, Museum of Art, etc.)
- Info: www.alpico.co.jp/traffic/matsumoto/townsneaker/en/
Toyota Rental Car
- Phone: 026-228-0100 (Nagano Station) / 0263-36-1538 (Matsumoto Station)
Nissan Rental Car
- Phone: 026-268-1123 (Nagano Station) / 0263-39-4123 (Matsumoto Station)
Nippon Rental Car
- Phone: 026-225-0919 (Nagano Station)
Sightsee at your own pace via bicycle.
Matsumoto city center “Rikisha”Free, offered by the local business district and area hotels. Multi-day rental, children’s cycles available. Inquire at your place of lodging in central Matsumoto.
Matsumoto city center “Suisui-Town”
Free, offered by the Matsumoto Convention Bureau. Available at 8 locations. Inquire at the Info Center in Matsumoto Station or near the castle. See here for details.
Free, you can rent at the bicycle parking to the right of Ueda station exit (not available in winter).
Stylish urban cycles, 1600 yen / 4hrs. Shinshu Ueda Outdoor Visitors Center. See here for details.
Available at the Shinetsu Shizenkyo Activity Center inside Iiyama Station. From 500 yen. See here for details.
Togura-Kamiyamada Hot Springs
500 yen/day for guests of the local ryokans. Easy access to the Chikuma River Cycling Road.